Saturday, May 1, 2010

soldering tips for jewelry

I keep thinking that I will get back to my sculpting, but I have been trying to keep up with custom orders for my pendants.

I have some safety tips for those of you who want to try your hand at soldering.

Plan to burn yourself a few times. Soldering is not for those who are unadventuresome.

Use only lead free solder.

No one can really tell you how to make solder beads,at least, in my opinon. You just have to keep practicing until you attain the skill.

Soldering on a jump ring is also something that takes a lot of practice, especially if you have an unsteady hand. Practice on a "junk piece" of china.

Always wear a mask or, at the very least, have good ventilation while you are soldering. Flux fumes are not good for you. Dust masks will not filter out fumes.

I will add more tips as I think of them. In the meantime, you can find the basic instructions for soldering on some of the solder supply sites and the stained glass sites.

To see all of my work, here is a link to my site:

www.toodlesock.com

No comments: