Friday, September 14, 2012

Lillith, the forgotten bride doll




I feel like I have gone back to my roots with these primitive, folk art dolls. It's fun to be able to concentrate on creating a mood, a look, without having to concentrate so much on realism and perfection. In fact, the imperfections and flaws give these dolls the distressed look that is expected with an old piece.
I didn't really know where this doll would take me when I started with her. Along the way, I realized that she would be a sad bride. She waits for her groom that never showed, never to be seen again. I think you can feel her sorrow. Tear stains run down her cheeks. Her only friend and companion, an old pumpkin, sits by her side or on her lap. Her wait is neverending, an eternity.
She is jointed at the shoulders, hips, elbows, and knees so that she can be posed in many positions.

Currently, Lillith is sitting in front of a hinged black box on a black chest here in my home. You can see the box in the photos. I get to enjoy her for 3 days before she goes to her new home, where she will continue to wait, and wait, and wait.

Here is her auction link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170909987532?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

No comments: